I’m not going to pretend that I am a master Chef… but after many years of burnt casseroles, tasteless vegetables, questionable meats and watching my mom cook up a storm… I have worked hard to make my husband happy when it comes time to ring the dinner bell (breakfast, lunch and dessert bell too). However, just when I think I’m ready to debut my latest creation on “Top Chef” this whole baby thing has thrown a wrench in my prep time.
So… below are three of my favorite EASY recipes that take very little time and are big enough to feed a family! Enjoy!
(Lasagna in a crockpot– what?!? Slow cooker recipes are the best kind of recipes for those of us with little ones… I can prepare it during Cash’s nap and it’s ready by his bedtime– hello life savor!)
- 1 lb. of ground meat (Vegetarians can substitute black beans)
- 1 pk taco seasoning
- 16 oz salsa
- 16 oz jar of Alfredo sauce
- 2 cups of shredded Monterey jack/cheddar blend
- 2 cups of shredded Mexican cheese
- 12-14 uncooked lasagna noodles (no boil lasagna)
*special shout to my sister Jennifer (aka the Dip/Slow Cooker Queen — for the original version of this recipe… this is my modified version.
Brown the beef with taco seasoning (or black beans for vegetarian option). Be sure to “butter” the crockpot before you do the following. Put a thin layer of the salsa on the bottom of slow cooker then stir the rest of the salsa in with meat (or beans).
Mix the Alfredo sauce with all the cheese and now you are ready to begin layering.
Lay about three noodles down (I break them up to make them fit the “slow cooker shape” and then top with 1/2 of the cheese mixture.
Lay three more noodles down and top with 1/2 of the meat (or beans) mixture.
and repeat both layers.
When finished with all your layers pour 1/3 cup of water over the top.
Cover and cover on low for 4 1/2-5 hours
(yep… tis true another slow cooker recipe)
- 4 thawed chicken breasts (cut in bit size pieces)
- 2 cups stovetop stuffing
- 1 can of cream of chicken soup (you can substitute cream of mushroom soup)
- 1/2 can of chicken broth
- 1/2 cup of sour cream
Mix soups and sour cream together in separate bowl. Coat pan (with butter or preferred product). Lay chicken at the bottom of slow cooker. Make the next layer the dry Stove Top Stuffing. Top with the soup/sour cream mixture. Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours.
SMART DOG CASSEROLE
- 1 package of Smart Dogs (Smart Dogs are amazing vegetarian hot dogs– but you can substitute your favorite hotdog in this recipe)
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 package of corn bread (and any ingredients needed) * I use Marie Callender’s Organic Corn Bread mix — just add water *
- 3 can of your favorite baked beans
- 1/3 cup of brown sugar
- 1/3 cup of BBQ sauce
Cut up hot dogs in bite size pieces and sauté on stove top with butter. In separate bowl mix BBQ sauce and brown sugar and beans. Add the beans mixture to the sautéed hot dogs on the stove top… once heated put it in a casserole dish. In a separate bowl make the cornbread mixture and pour that overtop of the beans/hot dog mixture that has been placed in casserole dish.
Bake at 425 for 25-30 minutes.